Monday, March 7, 2011

Food is my religion

Food is something I miss the most being away from home. Honestly there's not much healthy food around here. If it has to be a quick bite it always has to be some fried food which me and european friends label it  "evil". I love trying other cuisines especially Calhoun Street(opposite to UC) lined with all the multi cuisine restaurants. Partly my trip back home in the winter break, when it had just been three months from when I got here was because of the food. I'd blame that. Well, me gaining all the extra pounds proves it all. I had made a list of all that I had to eat while I was there, and I did cover them all even before I hopped on the plane back here.

The best part about Indian food is that every state has it's own speciality and if there are any common dishes, they never taste the same because of the ingredients and method of preparation. In fact my dream job would be to be a tv host for a show where I travel around and experience food from all over. A perfect Indian meal would be called a "thali" which is eaten off a  banana leaf as a plate, where the leaf is said to have digestive properties. This is popular at weddings. A thali is a perfect balance of all the nutrients. Traditionally, you sit down on the floor and eat. Here's a picture of what a thali meal would look like.



The speciality when you go to north Indian states is the concept of "dhaba" like small eat out restaurants on the way. These are perfect stops for travelers. Though some of the food in North India is high on cals, it's delicious!!!

 Only now is the concept of fast food catching up in India, with the entry of McDonalds and even some competition in a few cities. Gaining popularity these days are the Chinese, Mexican and Italian cuisines and restaurants. But for now, I have my own cooking and the Indian restaurants to satisfy the urge for Indian food.









No comments:

Post a Comment